"[L]et's face it, the easiest way to get on television right now is to be really rude." [Obama, on every Sunday political talk show not on FOX.]
This approach hasn't been working for me at all! In reality, the easiest way to get on television, at least in this context, is to be a powerful member of the political elite. As for those having attained the requisite status: being rude is is the least of their shortcomings.
When Rick Sanchez isn't posting banal tweets about his birthday or chowing down with his family he is providing careful insight into the story selection process of cable network news.
Man, I really hope this Twitter thing is just a fad - but considering that Sarah Palin is going to launch a national campaign for relevancy via 140-character statements, I think we are going to see a lot more from this ugly social networking tool.
I would be shocked Froomkin's pings haven't
drastically fallen: those who'd never read him still wouldn't, most who
read him for Bush-flaying stopped the day after Obama won, and a
significant number who did stay have since quit, repelled by Froomkin's Obama-flaying.
being, if McCain had won Froomkin's site would be profitably pinging,
which should remind not just neocons but all rubes everywhere what
(And here is proof of my roobiness, that I'd think neocons would
find Froomkin more valuable disillusioning Obama supporters than he was
as house liberal.)
here is proof of my roobiness: I obsess on this because I remember the
civic pride in calling the Washington Post my hometown paper.) Stuff.
fire Froomkin? Again common sense requires we assume neocons are
pussies and will not tolerate accurate, documented proof of their
pussiness, yeahsureyeah, but what if...
Froomkin has already
shown he will hold Obama to the same standard of accountability that he
did George Bush. What if firing Froomkin is a neocon nod they know
Obama is one of them (and will help keep their secrets)?
are so pussy they're dimly aware Froomkin's a vital weapon against
Obama but order his execution anyway because Froomkin has to call them pussies to call Obama a pussy. Patriotism, bitches.
Most of the shit that pisses me off has to do with politics. But don't think for a minute that some nonpolitical happenings don't drive me batshit. So I give you six random things that are pissing me off, and ask you to add your own nonpolitical psychotic hatreds in the comments.
1. Angelina Jolie's uterus - it seems as though Brangelina might be pregnant again - her seventh child (3 are adopted), and her fourth with Brad Pitt. That total does not include the sixty or so third-world children they will likely adopt in the next eighteen months. Enough already. You are annoying people, and your children are likely to spend most of their time on this earth in rehab. Stop reproducing.
2. Victoria Osteen - a multimillionaire snake handler, she tells people affected by the economy that she thinks "we could all do better sometimes ... not overextending ourselves." First, this ignorant bitch needs to STFU. Second, she needs to investigate the rumors that her poofy-haired preacher husband is pestorking poolboys in the poolhouse. Just sayin'.
3. Brett Favre - yes I wanted you to come here, yes I wanted you to start every game, and yes, I would be OK with it if you stayed. BUT MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND! NOW! If you decide to go, we've got some scouting to do. Fuckwit drama queen.
4. The Red State Strike Force - Another group of Keyboard Kommandos (aka the 101st Chairborne) that prefers to wage the War of Ideas™ over here rather than risk getting hurt doing the actual work of Empire over there. You can read more about them here, and you can see a more appropriate logo for the group here. And yes - I know it's more or less political, but they really piss me off. 5. Hugh Hefner - I am eternally grateful to you for thinking up Playboy - it helped get me through puberty. But dude - you're 82. I mean, 19 year-old twins? Most guys half your age would have trouble keeping up with that. And it's just skeevy. Can't you settle down with some hottie in her 30s and get off the stage?
6. Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator - face it Ford, anybody who needs a vehicle of this size and class buys a Suburban. These fucking things are ugly, they get abysmal mileage, and you never see them shuttling big shots around. They sent an Expedition for me once instead of a Town Car, and it was uncomfortable and seemed, from the back seat, to handle like a fishing trawler. Make some Fusion Hybrids instead - people will buy that shit.
But to have been so completely and fundamentally wrong about so huge a disaster as what we have done to Iraq — and ourselves — is outrageous enough to prove that people like me have no business posing as wise men, and, more importantly, that The New York Times has no business continuing to provide me with a national platform.
In any case, I have made a decision: as of today, I will no longer write in this or any other newspaper. I will immediately desist from writing any more books about how it’s time for everyone to climb on board the globalization high-speed monorail to the future. I will keep my opinions to myself. (My wife suggested that I try not to even form opinions, but I think she might have another agenda.)
On the other hand, I’ve expended lots of effort to avoid knowing who Hannah Montana is - until the Vanity Fair kerfuffle, I didn’t know the name Miley Cyrus. I had never heard her speak nor had I heard her sing. I was blissfully unaware that Hannah was the spawn of the bathetically awful Billy Ray Cyrus. If pressed, I could not have picked her out of a lineup.
The "liberal hawks" over at Slate are having a wankfest about how wrong they were on the Iraq War. Each has written a little missive entitled "How Did I Get Iraq Wrong?" - and as you'd expect, they suck. A smattering:
Pictured is the late Count Gottfried Alexander Leopold Graf von Bismarck-Schonhausen. I would say this tribute puts the 'bitch' in obituary.
Count Gottfried von Bismarck, who was found dead on Monday aged 44, was
a louche German aristocrat with a multi-faceted history as a
pleasure-seeking heroin addict, hell-raising alcoholic, flamboyant
waster and a reckless and extravagant host of homosexual orgies.
Read through until the last line - it's the kicker.
Josh at TPM tells us why we might not be completely fucked. Watch the whole thing.
On a lighter note, the teevee tells me that Al Gore's son was pulled over for doing 100 mph in his Prius. Apparently they found some dope and prescription drugs - hardly hanging offenses. What I want to know is, how did he get a hybrid going that fast? I thought the only way to get a Prius to go 100 mph was to drop it out of a plane.
Surprise - the Wall Street Journal editorial page says the Dear Leader should have issued a full pardon for Scooter the Obstructor and describes the whole thing as a "personal tragedy. The WSJ screens their comments - what do you suppose the chances are they'll post mine?
Comment: 1. The Niger memo was a forgery, and Wilson's accusations are true.
2. The right wing complains constantly about the Marc Rich pardon and uses it to excuse this commutation, but guess who Rich's lawyer was? Wait for it ... Scooter Libby.
UPDATE: 6:45 pm EST - not posted yet, but some of the comments they allowed (all pro-Scooter) are a fucking riot.
Elsewhere, Novakula laments the whole situation and confirms that the reich wing isn't happy Scooter has to face just a little bit of justice. Unless, of course, Bush pardons him on the way out the door.